Sunday, March 7, 2010

Difficulties during Ethnography Research

Although there are many different resources to find answers to my research, there is only little information through each resource; this rest is seen in the eye of the researcher. The first problem when doing basic research on Texas Country music, is the culture being a sub-genre of the more popular so-called "Nashville" Country, or the Top 40 of all country music. The culture is still developing to this day so none of the information on the internet is set in stone.
Depending on the popularity of the Texas Country music artist, some concerts are hard to get into due to ticket prices or locations. In my case, I had to spend a little extra cash for Pat Green tickets because the event was sold out for 2 weeks prior to the night of the concert. Also depending on the popularity of each artist, will somewhat determine where the artists hold their concerts. The more popular artist tend to go on tour all over the U.S. while the up and coming artists try their hand at the smaller honkytonks around Texas or southern part of the U.S.
The difficulty of the interview is very hard these days, especially if the artist goes on tour. Most recording artist have a team of agents for their marketing and scheduling of shows. I tried to reach many different people in my quest for a few answers. None of my emails or voicemails were returned. I have had to settle for interviews with my friends that are very familiar with the music culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment